Arizer Extreme Q 4.0 Review: B+
The Extreme Q is a great desktop vaporizer that works with both balloons and whips. Long story short, it isn't as good as the Volcano, but it is much more affordable and I recommend it for beginners looking to get started in vaping.
New for 2014
Although the Extreme Q (EQ) has been on the market for over 5 years now, the most recent 2014 model has the following updates:
- Newer midnight chrome color.
- Temperature is adjustable in 1 degree Celsius increments.
- Upgraded internal sensors and internals.
Using the EQ with balloons
To fill a balloon with tasty vapor, fill the cyclone bowl with herb, and set it cyclone bowl onto the heating element. Attach the balloon elbow joint on the the cyclone bowl, and then connect the balloon to the joint via the plastic tubing.
The balloon attaches to the EQ via plastic tubing, which feels kinda primitive, like a jury-rigged science experiment. I feel that it could be engineered better.
There are 3 fan speeds. It takes about 90 seconds to fill the balloon on the highest fan setting. If you choose the lower fan settings, you will get a thicker vapor but it takes much longer to fill a balloon. Regardless of which fan speed you use, filling balloons on the EQ is much slower than it is on the Volcano.
Using the EQ with whips
To use the Extreme Q with whips, attach the vapor whip to the cyclone bowl. You can either puff on the whip as if you were drinking a milkshake, or you can turn on the fan for a forced-air vaping experience. I prefer using the fan because I think it makes it easier to get thick clouds.
I'm not a fan of using whips because it can be annoying to pass around, but it worked as expected with no complaints.
The Extreme Q is pure convection
Vaporizer purists will be glad to see that the design of the heating element is pure convection, meaning that hot air is blown over the herb to cook it. In my experience, my herbs cook very evenly to a golden-brown--stirring or shaking the herbs every few puffs is not necessary.
- The heating design is 100% convection and it cooks herb very evenly.
- There are 3 fan settings. Use low speed to get thicker clouds of vapor. Use high speed to fill the bag more quickly.
- Temperature can be setting to 1-degree Celsius increments.
- Made in Canada by Arizer.
- The design of the glass tubes and joints seems fragile and jury-rigged. Also, it is easy to burn yourself on the glass if you are not careful.
- There is no valve on the balloon, so you need to cover the mouthpiece of the balloon when not taking puffs or the vapor will escape.
- Filling balloons is SUPER SLOW. It takes over 1 minute, even on the highest fan speed.
Overall Rating: B+
Conclusion: I recommend the Extreme Q as a vaporizer for first-time buyers. It is reliable and lets beginners experiment with balloons and whips. However, those who are spoiled by the Volcano will be slightly disappointed by the Extreme Q.
Reviewed by: JW on April 3, 2014
Extreme Q Vaporizer Includes:
- Digital Unit and Instruction Manual
- Vapor Whip
- Tubing with 2 mouthpieces
- Balloon System with 2 balloons
- Balloon Whip attachment
- Aromatherapy Bowl
- 2x Cyclone Bowls
- Glass Stir Tool
- Replacement Screens
- 110 volt plug for use in North America