Pennsylvania Children to access Medical Marijuana from Outside

Posted by Sagar Satapathy on June 29, 2016.

In a major development, the state Department of Health in Pennsylvania has announced that the parents and guardians of children, under the age of 18, suffering from epilepsy and other illnesses can seek permission to obtain medical marijuana from outside the state health from next month.

"In July, parents, legal guardians, caregivers, and spouses will be able to apply to the department for a Safe Harbor Letter that will allow them to administer medical marijuana obtained from outside of Pennsylvania to minors in their care," said Health Secretary Karen Murphy. "Once approved, the letter should be carried whenever medical marijuana is being transported outside of an individual's home."

Meanwhile, the Department of Health released temporary regulations, also known as the Safe Harbor provision, in order to obtain medical marijuana for children patients.

The parents, legal guardians or caregivers of children are required to make a background check, produce a picture ID and obtain a physician form from a doctor licensed by the state to get permission for out-of-state purchases of medical marijuana.

The Department of Health has also mentioned that marijuana is listed as a Schedule I controlled substance, is still federally illegal. However, some medical marijuana supporters called the temporary guidelines vague and worried that they could be subject to federal prosecution by carrying any form of marijuana across state lines.

Notably, Pennsylvania became the 24th state to legalize medical marijuana in April 2016 to treat certain medical conditions including cancer, post-traumatic stress disorder, intractable seizures and severe chronic pain.

comments powered by Disqus